In these times where everyone is struck at their home and not performing many activities. It is important for us to take care of ourselves in the aspect of hygiene, mental health, physical health. There is one thing which has its effect on all 3 aspects -the nutritional diet.
A good diet is important for our health and can help us feel our best. No single food contains all the essential nutrients, that body needs to stay healthy active, and work properly. Because of this, our diet should contain all variety of food which have all variety of nutrients in it.
Food I need for a healthy Nutritional diet
To know how much food you need, you must know the term Energy balance. It states that calories taken in from the diet are equal to the calories used by the body. we need these calories to bring out every function, walking, breathing, etc. But also if we intake more calories than we need for a period of time, it will result in weight gain.
The amount of calories you should take depends on many different things, like how active you are and what activities you perform. But on average:-
- women should have around 2,000 calories a day (8,400 kilojoules).
- men should have around 2,500 calories a day (10,500 kilojoules).
According to the Eatwell guide(the Eatwell guide is UK’s healthy eating model ). There are five main food groups. You don’t have to consume them at every mealtime, but rather over the space of a day or even a week.
The five main groups of Eatwell Guide are:–
- Fruits and Vegetables
- Potatoes, bread, rice and, other starchy carbohydrates
- Beans, pulses, fish, eggs, meat and, other proteins
- Dairy and alternatives
- oils and spreads
How much you should consume them?
- Here the starchy carbohydrates and fruits and vegetables should be consumed in bigger proportions compared to others.
- Beans, pulses, fish, eggs, meat and, other protein groups, and dairy alternatives groups are smaller. So, we should eat food from this group in moderate amounts.
- The oils and spreads are to be eaten in small amounts ( Although some fat is essential in a healthy, balanced diet ). As they are high in calories. Also, the dishes we eat contain many ingredients. They are combinations of the different food groups. These are called composite foods and include dishes like:-
- pasta dishes
- curry and rice
We need to identify the main ingredients for these kinds of meals . This will help to achieve healthy ,balanced diet .
For an eg:- vegetable curry
So ,keep these nutritional diet points in mind and start your journey to a healthy future with a small step.