Instagram tightens default content settings for teenagers
Instagram announced the platform is rolling out a feature that defaults accounts for new users under 16 years old to “Less,” the most restrictive setting for Sensitive Content Control. Teenagers already get push notifications “encouraging” them to opt-in to the heavier filtering on what the algorithm shows them across Search, Explore, Hashtag Pages, Reels, Feed Recommendations, and Suggested Accounts.
WhatsApp Comes With New Additional Privacy Features 2022-Silent Group Exit
The “Standard” setting in Instagram only lets users see some content deemed sensitive, while the “Less” option tightens the restrictions even further, and the “More” option allows users to see more sensitive content or accounts than the default settings. While users over 18 years old typically have access to “Standard,” “Less,” and “More,” teenagers currently only have access to “Standard” and “Less.”
Instagram new settings for teenagers
In addition, it is said that testing a new way to encourage teens to update their safety and privacy settings.
It will show prompts asking teens to review their settings including — controlling who can reshare their content, who can message and contact them, what content they can see and how they can manage their time spent on Instagram.
Easy Way To Know If Someone Blocked You On WhatsApp 2022
“We are continuously developing controls to help people personalize their experience on Instagram,” the company said. This update will be available to everyone in the coming weeks.
“Last summer, we launched the Sensitive Content Control so people could choose how much or how little sensitive content to see in Explore from accounts they do not follow. Today, we are announcing updates to this control,” it added.
To view your Sensitive Content Control:
- Go to your profile.
- Tap the Settings menu in the upper right corner.
- Tap Account.
- Tap Sensitive Content Control. Here you can decide whether to keep the setting at its default state (“Standard”) or to see more (“More”) or less of some types of sensitive content (“Less”).
- Instagram announced it would limit the platform’s sensitive content for new teen users by default.
- Instagram said that Sensitive Content Control has only two options for teens — “Standard” and “Less”.
- New teens on Instagram under 16 years old will default into the ‘Less’ state.
List of World’s Most Valuable Brands in 2022